Image Map

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pete


It's late and I can't sleep.  Today I learned that our friend Pete died of cancer.  He fought a long and hard fight this past year.  I am honored to know him and to be able to call him a friend.  Pete and my husband Eric bonded during chemotherapy at Doctor J's over their mutual admiration of The Home Depot.  These two men discussed how they wanted to finish their backyards so their wives wouldn't be left with a mess if they died.  I cry every time Eric tells me that, one because no one should have to think that and two because they did.  Pete was a husband, father and a friend.  His larger than life personality was intoxicating as were his stories.  Pete definitely told a good story.
A week before Christmas I ran into Pete's wife Missy at Costco were we discussed the lunch our husbands had planned for us all the following Tuesday.  Tuesday came and while my mom watched our boys, Eric and I headed to lunch to meet our friends.  We arrived around 11:30 am and waited for Pete and Missy to arrive.  After a bit, we decided to be seated and wait for them at the table.  We called Pete, texted Pete and no response.  Eric paced and walked around looking for them while I waited in the restaurant.  Once we realized they weren't coming I cried and Eric was shook up.  We knew that we wouldn't see Pete again and it hurt.  On the way home that afternoon we decided to drop off the wine that we had brought for Pete and Missy at their home.  Eric went up to the door and placed the wine on the ground and when he looked up there was a sign on their door that read "FOR PETE'S SAKE, DON'T KNOCK"!  Always a joker.
Pete you will be missed and remembered always.  I know that you are smiling and laughing way up there.
See you again someday.

post signature
©2012 A Spoonful of Dish | Designed by: Lust luxe love